West Cape May Elementary Special Education
Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC)
Special Education Parent Advisory Groups are required for all school districts in New Jersey. The purpose of these groups is to provide opportunities for parents and community members to offer input to their districts on critical issues. New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:14-1.2(h) states that:
Each board of education shall ensure that a special education parent advisory group is in place in the district to provide input to the district on issues concerning students with disabilities.
The mission of the West Cape May Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC) is to facilitate communication between parents, staff, the Board of Education, and the community, regarding the district's special education programs, to provide families with meaningful support, education and information and to provide input to the District on issues concerning students with disabilities.
- To provide direct input on the policies, programs, and practices that impact services and supports for students with disabilities.
- To increase the involvement of families of children with special needs.
- To advise on issues that affect the education, health and safety of students with special needs.
Who Should Attend SEPAC Meetings?
- Anyone with a student or students in West Cape May Elementary School with special needs.
- Anyone with a student or students eligible for or receiving services under an IEP or 504 plan.
What is The Purpose of a SEPAC?
- To provide direct input on the policies, programs, and practices that impact services and supports for children with disabilities and their families.
- To increase the involvement of families of children with special needs in making recommendations on special education policy.
- To advise on matters that pertain to the education, health and safety of children with special needs.
- To advise on unmet needs of children with disabilities.
Who are the Committee Members?
- Parents of students who are receiving special education services
- Teachers (general education and special education)
- School Administrative representative
- Case Manager
What Happens at SEPAC Meetings?
- Concerns related to a group of students are shared and discussed.
- Suggestions may be brought to the school district regarding special education
- Please note that SEPAC meetings are not the forum for a discussion about individual students or your child's IEP. Topics are limited to those that impact all students or a group of students. Additionally, these meetings are for parents only.
The schedule of the meetings will be arranged by the committee members and a general meeting will be posted annually on the WCM web-site.
If you have concerns that you would like to share with Pupil-Special Services or a specific concern about your child's program, please contact your child’s case manager, Brenda S. Zwibel or the school #504 coordinator, Maureen McLaughlin. Both can be reached at 609-884-4614.